Friday 26 February 2010

disregard: lack of attention and due care

I've been really neglectful lately but I finally have a laptop so I should be able to blog a bit more, even if I only have a tenuous internet connection. I think that I have actually missed it.

Life has been pretty crazy lately. I've moved out of home - a huge step for me - and I'm starting as a first year uni student all over again, among other things. I've only done a week of my new course but I'm already in love. It's just so much more enjoyable that my last one - I'm actually learning about things that I want to be learning about.

I don't know if I've said this before but I want to be an editor or anything in the publishing industry really. I've always loved books but it was only last year that I realised that I loved them more than anything. So, in my new course I'm minoring in editing and I had my first class for that last Monday and the lecturer said something that I guess I'd never really realised before - that editors have to be writers as well - Only I'm not really the best writer. I always get total mind blanks and can never thing of anything to write, especially when I'm put on the spot and have to write something immediately in class.

I've always firmly believed the old cliché that to write well you must first write what you know - which I now realise is completely ridiculous considering the amount of fantasy and science fiction that I read. However, I’ve always felt that I never had anything interesting enough to write about, that I wasn’t an interesting enough person, I guess. I’ve always wanted to write, and have always liked it as well – I just want to write, to write anything at all but when I’m writing something I’m always to pre-occupied wondering what other people might think of it to actually focus of the writing much.

I figure that this blog is the perfect place to practice my writing so expect to see many more posts from me (not that they will necessarily be filled with writing about writing or writing at all for that matter, still love the pictures.) I'm also thinking about doing some outfit posts, I've got many new friends at uni whose help I could enlist to take the photos. Also, if I write about it here than I actually have to do it.

Time for me to go to bed, I've got work tomorrow. Night all



No comments: